Who Are the Downtowners?
Lancaster Downtowners is a network of people who share a common passion for downtown Lancaster as the community of choice for their retirement years. Downtowners includes individuals who have already retired and are living in the city, others who anticipate living downtown for their retirement years, and younger people supportive of the Downtowners initiative.
Click here for video about the Downtowners
The Downtowners value:
- an intentional retirement lifestyle connected to the Lancaster city community.
- contributing to the vitality of the city through professional work, volunteerism,civic leadership and economic investment.
- personal development that nurtures mind, body and spirit and promotes peacemaking and right relationships with community and environment.
- aging in place within an intergenerational community.
Downtown Lancaster provides assets valued by multiple generations:
- a lively growing arts community
- traditional farmers’ market for fresh and locally produced food
- multicultural neighborhoods
- a walkable business center
- opportunities for volunteers
- diverse faith communities
Downtowners are organizing to provide cost effective services for themselves and others who desire to remain in their homes and urban neighborhoods rather than move to more conventional retirement communities.